Everything on Certificate of Sponsorship

When applying for a skilled worker visa or a temporary work visa in the UK your employer will need to have a certificate of sponsorship for you to be able to do so. Your employer must hold a valid sponsorship license and for any workers that they intend to bring to the UK, they must each have a certificate of sponsorship. Most of the work required to get a certificate of sponsorship will not be done by you however the results will affect you greatly in your efforts to come live and work in the UK.  So, it is incredibly important that you are aware of all the workings involved. It should also be noted that a’ CoS’ also applies to all unpaid work.

UK to welcome more Immigrants

A certificate of sponsorship will be applied for after a formal job offer is made to you. They will need to include accurate information on what the job role is and how much It will be paying. There must be no difference between the information that is declared and what actually entails. There are two types of certificates, restricted and unrestricted. There are a limited number of restricted sponsorships each year so your employer will need to keep this in mind. Your employer must also pay all the applicable fees when applying. However, there are some countries where the certificate may be free if it is assigned before the 25th of February 2022.

They will also need to have human resources that can monitor your work record and the status of your immigration. They will need to make sure that you have the necessary skills or qualifications to be able to do the job they are sponsoring you to do. They will also need to make sure that the job they are sponsoring is actually suitable to be sponsored. Make sure that you are following all the rules that come with your visa and report it if you are not. Your employer must also report all changes of circumstance such as significant changes to their business. If your employer’s business does go through significant changes this will more than likely affect your immigration status so make sure to keep that in mind.

You will need to apply for your visa within three months of when you receive your certificate. You must not apply for your visa any more than 3 months after your job’s start date. There really isn’t that much for you to do specifically in regards to the certificate of sponsorship, you will have a lot more to do in regards to your visa application.

If you are under the age of 18 you must have care arrangements in place including when travelling, when you arrive, and for the duration of your stay while under 18. Your employer must also have a record of all of this. Your employer will also need a letter from a parent or guardian declaring that you will be living and working in the UK and that they give permission for you to do so. It should also be known that if you are under 16 you might still be eligible to come work in the UK but there are different visas involved.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

More To Explore


What is an Investor Visa?

A UK investment visa is not an option for all but it is an option for some. Potentially if this applies to you then you

Do You Want To Boost Your Business?

drop us a line and keep in touch